| April 24, 2017
Commemorating ANZAC Day and Centenary of the Battles on the Western Front
Federal Member for Murray, Damian Drum MP said the community would pause on ANZAC Day to honour the service and sacrifice of all Australian men and women who have served in defence of our country.
Mr Drum said services would be held across the electorate including Boort, Cobram, Dookie, Echuca, Euroa, Girgarre, Gunbower, Kyabram, Mitiamo and East Loddon, Murchison, Nagambie, Nathalia-Picola, Numurkah, Rochester, Rushworth, Shepparton, Mooroopna, Stanhope, Strathmerton, Tatura, Tongala, Violet Town, Wedderburn, Yarrawonga/Mulwala.
Mr Drum said ANZAC Day was one of the most important dates in Australians’ calendar.
“More than 50,000 Australians are estimated to have fought in the Gallipoli campaign, where some 8,700 lost their lives and almost 18,000 were wounded,” Mr Drum said.
“On ANZAC Day, I encourage Australians to take a moment and reflect on the brave men and women who have served our nation in all wars, conflicts and on peacekeeping operations.
“I encourage everyone in Murray to attend a service on ANZAC Day or take time to pause, reflect and remember those who have served and those who have given their lives for our country.
“We are forever grateful to the men and women, past and present, who have served in our Army, Navy and Air Force.
“This year also marks the centenary of the Battle of Bullecourt in France, the Battle of Messines, the Battle of Polygon Wood and the Battle of Beersheeva, as well as the 75th anniversaries of the Fall of Singapore, the Bombing of Darwin and the Kokoda campaign — they are all important events from our history that this nation will never forget.
Mr Drum said any current or former Australian Defence Force personnel who was affected by ANZAC Day should contact the Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service, which provides free and confidential counselling 24/7 on 1800 011 046.
Media Enquiries – (03) 5821 5371 / 0417 817 623
Commemorating ANZAC Day
- Australians are invited to share how they mark ANZAC Day on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AnzacCentenary, or on twitter.com/DVAAUS with #AnzacDay.
- Further information about ANZAC Day and the ANZAC Centenary can be found on the ANZAC Centenary website at anzaccentenary.gov.au and at anzacportal.gov.au.
Support for Veterans
- Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service (VVCS) — 1800 011 046. VVCS can be reached 24 hours a day across Australia for support and free and confidential counselling.
- If you would like to connect to VVCS while overseas please call +61 8 8241 4546 (please note that standard international call costs will apply).
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs At-Ease mental health web portal — at-ease.dva.gov.au/