Sport | December 03, 2015
Labor drops the ball on major sport events – again
December 3, 2015
The Andrews Labor Government was gradually destroying Melbourne’s reputation as the sporting capital of the nation, Coalition Shadow Minister for Sport, Damian Drum, said today.
In less than a month, Labor and its fumbling Sport Minister John Eren have lost three major sporting opportunities which would have brought more than $30 million of economic activity to Victoria.
- The Women’s Australian Open golf was snatched from Victoria by Adelaide. It is expected to be worth almost $10 million to South Australia.
- Queensland then stole the prestigious Asia-Pacific Ironman competition, which had been staged in Melbourne since 2012. It attracts 10,000 international visitors a year.
- And Sydney has won the right to stage the first game of the American College Football season pumping an estimated $10 million into New South Wales.
“Melbourne’s sporting crown is starting to look a battered under Labor,” Mr Drum said.
“Labor’s been crowing about its sports major events, but it’s all been built around events the previous Government fought for. “
“This builds on Minister Eren’s jaw-dropping hypocrisy in other sports areas, such as his and Labor’s fondness for cage fighting.
“Just days after shocked Victorians witnessed the bloody spectacle of a woman being kicked senseless in an Eren-backed cage fight, there he was in Parliament standing up and applauding efforts to stop violence against women.”
Labor’s credentials in the sporting world have never been lower, he said.