Community Services | November 10, 2015
More Bendigo families waiting for housing under Labor
The waiting list of families seeking public housing in Bendigo has already blown out under the Andrews Labor Government, with 34 more people waiting for housing compared to March this year.
Nationals MP for Northern Victoria, Damian Drum, said quarterly figures silently put online by the government showed a disturbing trend, with the state-wide waiting list almost hitting 35,000 people.
He said he was concerned the public housing waiting list was going to blow out like it did under the last Labor government, when it reached around 41,000 people.
“History is repeating itself under the Andrews Labor Government,” Mr Drum said.
“The public waiting list had been steadily decreasing under the Coalition but it’s taken just six months for Labor to undo everything that had been achieved.
“Despite Daniel Andrews’ promise to reduce the waiting list for public housing, it has now blown out with 34 people added in Bendigo in the last six months alone.”
Mr Drum said the Andrews Labor Government’s 2015/16 Budget forecast a net loss in public housing residences, which will only force more people onto the waiting list.
“With a budget now in deficit it is hard to see how Daniel Andrews will be able to afford to reverse this concerning trend,” he said.
“Daniel Andrews should explain to local families and children waiting for public housing why they will wait even longer now for a home.”