A maternity leave position for a Media Adviser (EOB) is available at the Office of The Hon Damian Drum MP, Federal Member for Nicholls and Chief National Whip. The successful applicant should be available from early May 2020 for some handover and ready to commence full time May 18th 2020. This position is likely to conclude mid-January 2021 but is flexible and could be for the full 12 months.
As the Media Adviser, you will be a highly motivated person with several years’ experience in journalism or a related communication discipline and experience in the development and implementation of communication strategies.
The role requires strong analytical and communication skills, effective judgement and strong evaluation capability. Knowledge of government and parliamentary processes is an advantage.
- Portfolio responsibility for all communication and constituent enquiries on NBN, Telecommunications, LAE and others as directed by the OM.
- Lead Local issues campaign
- Campaigns on local election commitments / wish list items
- Daily media monitoring complied and sent to all staff and member first thing each day
- Devise and implement the annual media and communications plan with full costings by monthly spend and appearances (required each May prior to new financial year)
- Provide weekly media plan for forthcoming fortnight to member and OM by Thursday pm each week
- Local news outlet issues management
- Electorate media including all media releases, media alerts and radio transcripts
- Member newsletter and e-newsletter
- Daily phone canvassing and reporting on calls and issues
- Media event coordination
- Speech writing support as required
- Website design and maintenance
- Management of all social media (Facebook, Youtube)
- Photographs and videos
- Maintenance of data including CCDs, SA1 age demographic, issues
- Targeted local issues mail outs
- Travel in the electorate and to Canberra as directed by the Member or Office Manager
- Representing the Member in the electorate
- Other duties as directed by the Member or Office Manager
Skills, attributes and experience
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Effective judgement and strong evaluation capabilities
- Researching, understanding and evaluating public opinion
- Solid understanding of the Nicholls electorate and its key issues
- A thorough understanding of the media industry and a sound working knowledge of social media with an ability to follow advancements in technology relating to communication and broadcasting is critical to the role
- Photography and video skills desirable
- An understanding of the Australian system of government and parliamentary processes
- Well-developed organisational ability and time management skills
- Experience in a similar a role or previous work in a political office will be highly regarded.
The position is offered under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 and conditions are outlined in the Commonwealth Members of Parliament Staff Enterprise Agreement 2016-2019.
A commencement salary will be paid depending on experience and an optional allowance payable in recognition of and as compensation for overtime. A probationary period of three months will apply.
Applications should be forwarded as soon as possible, and will be reviewed as soon as they are received. For further information please contact Claire Ewart-Kennedy on 0409 828 586